Mouth ulcers are proved to cause acute dental pain. This is a very common oral disease related to dentistry. The types and causes of mouth ulcers have already been discussed.
Today, I would like to discuss the treatments a dentist may prescribe to pacify the dental pain and simultaneously promote healing of the mouth ulcer.
1. Warm saline water- One teaspoon of salt mixed in a glass of lukewarm water, when used a mouthwash, promotes healing and eases the pain. Use this at least 4-5 times a day for speedy relief.
2. Use over the counter topical benzocaine gels (anesthesia) on the sore itself. You can apply this on the ulcer 5-10 minutes before taking your meal. This will facilitate ease in chewing and swallowing. These also contain other medicaments which promote healing while temporarily numbing it.
3. You can use a mouthwash that contains a steroid or hydrogen peroxide to ease the inflammation.
4. Your dentist may prescribe supplements like Folic acid, Vitamin C, Vit. B6 and B12 and Zinc. These supplements promote healing and also prevent mouth ulcers in the future.
5. Probiotics may be prescribed to aid in proper digestion, hence keeping your stomach healthy. Mouth ulcers also appear due to an upset stomach.
I will also discuss many ways to cure and alleviate the symptoms associated with a mouth ulcer using things in your kitchen. But always remember to consult your physician or dentist if a sore lasts more than 10-14 days.