Treatment of IPF, a grievous lung disease that affects the quality of health
Unfortunately, IPF is an irreversible lung disease causing scarring of lung tissues which is fatal for health.
The treatment of IPF improves the quality of life and alleviates the troublesome symptoms like dyspnea (breathlessness), cough, fatigue and pain. No treatment can actually reverse the damage done to the lung tissues. But proper medications and change in lifestyle can slow the progression of IPF.
- Respiratory Rehabilitation- this helps to manage and maintain a patient with chronic respiratory disorders. The patient can learn breathing techniques and exercises to ease respiration.
- Treatment of acidity which actually worsens IPF
- Treatment of a persistent cough
- Medication that slow down fibrosis
- Supplemental oxygen to maintain the levels of oxygen in the blood.
- Quit any bad habits like cigarette smoking
- Exercise is very important
- Healthy diet
- Lung transplants are rare but are an option if the patient is not responding to treatment.
- Frequent doctor visits
- Join community programs to help cope with anxiety.
Research and clinical trials are being conducted. It might be possible to find a new treatment plan in the coming years.