Causes of Asthma, a common respiratory condition
We have already discussed asthma as a common respiratory condition and its signs and symptoms. The proper diagnosis and treatment of asthma are very important as an asthmatic attack can prove to be fatal.
We should also know about individual specific causes and triggers in order to circumvent chances of an acute attack.
Causes/Triggers of Asthma
- Environmental causes- low air quality and air pollution, smoke, the presence of allergens like pollen, dust mites, pet animal hair/dirt, mold spores, feathers, cockroach waste
- Exposure to chemicals like paint, varnish, formaldehyde, pesticides
- Respiratory and viral infections like a cold.
- Cigarette smoke
- Cold and dry air
- Physical activity like exercise
- Medications like beta blockers, aspirin, etc
- Food preservatives
- Stress and anxiety
- Genetically more prone
- Existing allergic conditions such as allergic rhinitis (hay fever) and atopic dermatitis
The symptoms of asthma are generally more during sleep and early morning.
An appropriate treatment plan should be discussed with your physician. Also, take precautions and carry an inhaler with you wherever you go.